Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What do THEY want?


In the whirlwind that is the literary community, and all those of us trying to get published and accomplish something worth accomplishing, chances are going to be that you are not going to have an easy time getting noticed.
What can I say, I've been writing for over ten years and I still am having one hell of a time myself. When I first started, I sent querie letters to many companies hoping for some sort of a response. I think I must have sent out 60 or more and the sad truth is I didn't get one response.
Not a one! At first I put the blame on myself. Maybe I wasn't being professional enough, Maybe I didn't possess the right vocabulary to dazzle their very being, Maybe they just didn't like me. It wasn't until much later that I realized that, for the most part, most of these companies really have no idea what they want. I mean, they expect a best-seller literally overnight and they want material that is basically regurgitated. So, that almost single handedly counts out anyone who actually has something authentic and original.
I consider such a practice to be quite unrealistic. And I'm pretty sure this counts for the ridiculous amounts of horror books and films that are based on the same subjects and carry the same themes.(i.e. Vampires, zombies, ect). Don't get me wrong, I'm actually a huge vampire fan but when I see the themes of classics like Dracula mixed with something out of Beverly hills 90210, it boils my blood!
Either way, I guess the lesson learned here is you really cannot take anything the so-called experts say seriously. My opinion is they are not concerned with content, only the supposed potential to market. Personally, when I see such a violation of true horror imagery, I turn the tv off.

No comments:

Post a Comment