Sunday, May 9, 2010

Preference for short stories


I have written 24 stories. They are all short stories in the Gothic style made famous by people like Edgar Allen Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, Sylvia Plath, and others. I have found that short stories can capture people's attention longer, believe it or not, than novels. With novels, especially real long ones, the author can lose the interest of the reader by dragging the subject matter out for far too long.
One of the major goals I set for myself as a writer is to keep the reader's attention glued on my books. In order to do that, I believe that my stories should be kept short and sweet. And I also believe that every single word that is used is extremely important. I'm pretty sure that I am not the only writer that feels this way as you will notice a common trait of writers is a constantly expanding and refined vocabulary.
The first short story I wrote is entitled 'The Vengeance of Edmond', It takes place in a 1600-style setting with a town that is gripped by religious persecution and fear. The main character sells his soul to Evil because his best friend is killed by people who are protected by their position in society. In return for his soul, he is able to enact his revenge.
I guess you could say that I enjoy including themes within my stories that people can relate to. Maybe that is the only trait of humanity included in my stories, any of them!
I don't really remember writing my first one, but I do remember that I was inspired to make a story and dedicate it to all those who were wrongfully killed in the name of superstition. I kind of felt like I owed it to them. I have written another story named 'To the Gallows', with a similar theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment