Saturday, August 7, 2010

Reasons for writing


If you take a look at many of the great Gothic or horror writers from the very-distant past, you will see that almost all of them were plagued by inner demons. It's sad to say that many were drug addicts or alcoholics, and more than a few of them committed suicide. The vast majority died penniless and obscure. These circumstances might explain why, in fact, they chose to write horror in the first place. They probably didn't know anything in life except horror. It encompassed the whole of their lives. Writing was probably their only escape. I, myself, write for different reasons. While I've had my share of depression and sadness, I write horror because I enjoy it. One thing I've noticed from the greats, is that although they are remembered for creating classics(and they should be, of course) They all have a limited number of creations. Edgar Allen Poe, for example, was more a poet than a story-teller. He only wrote roughly 30 short stories. And of those 30, little more than half of them are actually authentic horror. He was equally interested in writing detective novels and pseudo-comedies. H.P. Lovecraft was also interested in writing science fiction. I tend to stick to writing solely about horror because it is the only genre that truly gets my attention and keeps it. I don't think I'm going to experiment with writing about any other genres.

No comments:

Post a Comment