Friday, April 30, 2010

Dealing with writers block


The one thing that has constantly plagued me through every single story I have ever written is writers block. And the funny thing is I always think I have all my creative ducks in a row before it hits me. It never fails.
Writers block can make a story that is supposed to be finished within a few weeks, take a few months. And while there is no cure (at least I think there isn't, anyway), I believe there are a few methods for getting through it.
One method that usually works for me is consistent mental and physical stimulation. Reading, watching a classic horror film, listening to metal music, athletics, chess. Something that reasonably eradicates boredom. I think boredom is root of all procrastination which, for a writer, should be avoided at all costs.
I also believe that having a source of inspiration, any inspiration, will help as well. Researching historic individuals with a wicked twist to them has always helped me. I cant remember all the people I've studied through the years. From Vlad tepes (also known as Vlad the Impaler), Elizabeth Bathory, The Marquis De Sade, Sir Francis Dashwood, Aleister Crowley, Gilles De Rais, and a large host of others. Whenever I think here is no one left worth researching, I usually discover someone else.
Determination can also be another factor in shrugging off writers block. But you have to be careful, when your creative energies are at a standstill and your in a hurry to finish your work, as I have been several times, you may add or neglect something to your work that you might regret. I guess it pays to take your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment