Sunday, April 25, 2010

pleasure and pain: A horror writers journey 1


Greetings,
To the many of you who do not know me, let me just say I have been locked in a gruelling fight-to-the-death with obscurity for as long as I can remember. I guess writers, and horror writers in particular, have to deal with such a reality on a regular basis. For writers, there exists no middle ground. Greatness and oblivion are your only options. I, myself, have always strived for the former and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.
I don't know when I became enthralled with horror. I know the classics did it for me more than anything else. Dracula, the works of H.P. Lovecraft and poe, and a lot of the 70's and 80's horror films inspired me and continue to do so even today. As a result of such inspirations, my taste has been what some would call extreme. It is because of that eccentric characteristic that I decided to become a writer. You see, most of the supposedly horror writers back then, as well as the ones today, really were a bit tame by my standards. I think most real horror fans would agree.
To actually get the material that I considered 'adequate', I had to take matters in my own hands and that is exactly where my journey begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment