Monday, August 1, 2011

Midnight at Greyfriars Kirkyard

Last year, when I went to Edinburgh, Scotland, I had an experience most would consider 'phenomena'. The lovely Ms.Anthropy and myself had taken the 'graveyard' tours through

Greyfriars Kirkyard(supposedly the most haunted place in Britain) and when they were over, the tour guide let us know that the graveyard was open to the public at all times. Going back to my hotel and taking a shower, I just couldn't get the thought out of my mind of heading back to the graveyard and truly seeing for myself if the tales told about Greyfriars, and of the notorious 'Mackenzie' poltergeist were indeed true. Grabbing my coat and heading out the door, I ran as fast as I could and before I knew it, I was there. When I got there, the graveyard literally looked like a scene out of a Peter Cushing movie. Fog was about three feet off the ground and the grave stones and tombs looked very wicked indeed. Looking at my phone, I was surprised to see that I had arrived at the witching hour of midnight. Walking to the Coventer's prison, I had to stand outside of the gate(which was locked. The only part of the Graveyard that is.) I then began to call out to the spirit of George Mackenzie(a notorious figure of Scottish history). After a few minutes of doing so, I looked around and noticed that everything seemed to be moving, but nothing was. It was as if time itself was standing still. I heard leaves rustle as if something was walking, but I saw no one. Looking around for about five minutes, things slowly began to become normal again. It almost felt like I was drunk, but I hadn't drank the whole time I was in Scotland. After another ten minutes of standing by the gates, I left. Leaving, I gave Bobby(The dog statue in front of the entrance of the graveyard) a pet. I don't know if I can consider what happened anything relevant, but what it felt like is a completely different story!

No comments:

Post a Comment