Wednesday, October 18, 2017

why I usually loathe diluting genres

Recently I went to the movies which was something I had not done in quite some time. The movie that I saw was a remake of a horror classic that I had never seen, yet by the time the film had ended I could understand why I had earlier avoided the original. Though I did not hate the film, it did remind me that I usually detest when the mixing of genre's occurs. Only a few times I have found this acceptable; for instance the story of 'Dracula' is, in essence, a Gothic love story. The later writings of H.P. Lovecraft are a splendid mix of horror and science-fiction, and even the great Edgar Allen Poe wrote what is probably the very first detective story. But, I found the particular work of the writer responsible for the film, as well as many of his earlier works, to be anything other than horror even though he has fancied himself under the horror banner his whole career. Many contemporary authors have indeed done the same. One thing is for certain, I feel that if you have a pull towards specific genre's, you should stick to labeling your works as such. If you are truly a horror writer, your passion should solely be on HORROR!! To deny horror it's purity indeed does the most magnificent genre a sad disservice.

No comments:

Post a Comment