Saturday, October 31, 2015

The Dark Fantasy/Horror Connection

Even though it's not in my taste to branch out of my specialty of traditional horror, that does not mean that I am not a fan of other certain genres. The Fantasy genre in particular comes to mind quite specifically as one of my favorites. The Arthurian Mythos of Pre-Saxon U.K. I have found mystifying since childhood and the works of writers like Tolkien and C.S. Lewis also consider reverence.
That being said, I believe there are many subtle connections and similarities between Dark Fantasy and Horror. When you look at the folklore of such oddities as Ghouls and Ogres, they are very similar to elves and fairies except they were usually regarded as villainous.
Being one month removed from completing my last Novella 'Beyond Obsession', I have decided to branch out of Traditional Gothic Horror, yet I still desire to keep the same context of what makes my writing unique. My next project is going to involve a literary figure who has been seen in several mythologies from across the Atlantic yet has had almost no specifics in regards to its origins, namely  the Goblin.
Though specifically in a Fantastical setting, I still plan to include all infamous traits of Horror and create a fairy tale best suited for those almost as twisted as I am!!

No comments:

Post a Comment