Friday, October 15, 2010

Creating a demand

I know by experience that there are many writers out there that think they are going to be an over night success. It is these same writers who believe that their work should only sell for nothing less than a fortune. I'm pretty sure that with time most of them have to learn the hard way that without a demand for their work, it won't sell at all. That leaves them with only two available options. Either to #1: just quit writing altogether (you'd be surprised at how many of them do that) or #2: Create a demand. Creating a demand can be challenging. I, myself am still in the process of doing it. But, I don't believe anything is truly impossible. I think being flexible in where your work is being shown has a lot to do with it. For example, I like to approach book stores (usually little holes in the walls) and offer complimentary copies of my books to see how the public responds to it. Plus it's a great way to get the owners of such stores to read your work as well. I know a lot of people would have a great deal of trouble in giving away their work for free, but if you truly want to be noticed and appreciated, sometimes it's a must. Remember, the more people read your work the more they know about you. And the more they know about you, the more of your work they want to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment