Sunday, April 16, 2017

Fascination with 'Libertines'

As is usual in every one of my works, I'm reading up on several historical concepts and figures to provide imagery that fits well in my story's narrative. Because my work deals heavily with sexual sadism, corruption, and aristocracy I am rediscovering several past figures that fancied themselves as 'Libertines'. A Libertine is someone who in unrestrained by sexual and societal taboos and lives a life of indulgence and excess. One of the most famous Libertines that ever lived is the Marquis DeSade and it is his work that has heavily influenced my decision to write this particular story. Other famous Libertines include The American Statesman Benjamin Franklin, English Black Magician Aleister Crowley, and famed adventurer Lord Byron. I must admit that the more I study such individuals the narrative of their lifestyles and philosophies, the more mesmerized I become. It's almost as if they are a breed completely foreign to most mere humans and transcend any form of social constraint. Whether morally right or wrong, one cannot deny the fascinations associated with the likes of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment