Friday, March 6, 2020

Writing for yourself first!

Years ago, I once heard someone say that every writer should 'Write for themselves first, and worry about the world secondary'. While such a comment can be viewed as inflammatory to some, I can totally see where they were coming from. It's a direction that I, myself, often take with regards to my own creations. I mean, when I take into consideration that the reason I started writing is because most of the writers the contemporary world considered as 'Talented' or 'Groundbreaking' were so tawdry I couldn't bring myself to finish any of their works, it makes perfect sense.
That being said, I consider true horror an art. An art that hasn't been given the same amount of distinction it deserves. An art that shouldn't be diluted with anything not in it's nature. Graphic violence should be included almost as an afterthought, as well as blatant deviance in all of its forms. Namely, the hush and hidden realities of human nature should be shown in every light that showcases it's savagery. And that, most of all, is why I write horror: Human Beings are the truest of all monsters and nothing stays more true to that aspect than the genre of horror. Nothing gives that fact more credence.
In truth, I've become so selective with what I choose to entertain myself nowadays, lots of things I would find shocking in my youth hardly grasp my attention today. So, writing to please my own macabre indulgences has become more of a necessity than mere choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment